Crisis Relief Services
Sumter United Ministries provides crisis relief services to families in need in Sumter County. This is done by providing direct financial assistance to avoid possible eviction and to prevent the disconnection of necessary utilities and heating sources. The ministry can also help by providing a food box from The Lord’s Cupboard; along with furniture and appliances for fire and domestic violence victims.
We are located at 36 S. Artillery Drive. New clients can register for a same-day interview Monday – Thursday between 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM. New and returning clients can schedule an appointment to interview Monday – Thursday between 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM. If you are unsure if you are new (never interviewed at the Crisis Relief Ministry) or a returnee, we encourage you to call before you arrive.
In order to be interviewed, the client must be a resident of Sumter County and must bring a Social Security card and a Photo ID. They must also know the Social Security numbers and birth dates of everyone in their house along with income and expenses for the entire household.
In order to be interviewed for food, clothing and other in-kind items, the resident must live in Sumter County and provide a photo ID. They must also know the birth dates of everyone in their house, along with the income and expenses for the entire household.
Client must bring a disconnection notice or final notice within seven days of the due date to interview. If the utility is disconnected, interviews must take place within 30 days of the disconnect date.
If service is with Black River Electric Cooperative a print-out is also required from the customer service department at BREC.
Heat-related interviews are done November 1 – March 31. Heat-related requests include natural and propane gas, kerosene, firewood and electric heaters. SCE&G customers will need a disconnection/final notice within 7 days of the due date. Propane customers (Suburban & Palmetto Gas only) will need a disconnection/final notice within 7 days of the due date or an invoice for cost of fill-up on company letterhead. Portable propane tanks must be evaluated as “safe” by Simpson’s Hardware on Liberty St and must provide a statement that it has been checked. Kerosene and firewood (upon availability) requests are also evaluated (no notice or invoice required). Clients are only eligible once a season.
Client must have a valid eviction notice from the Magistrate’s Court.
- If someone has had a fire, they need to bring a referral from the Red Cross and a fire report. Clients seeking to relocate due to fire will need a lease or rental contract for the new property or sufficient utility connection/transfer details.
- If someone has been in an abusive situation and needs assistance, they must bring a referral from Victims Advocate or the YWCA. Clients seeking to relocate due to CDV will need a lease or rental contract for the new property or sufficient utility connection/transfer details.
- Interview clients, receptionist, answer the phone, data entry
- Food pantry, (make food boxes and organize donations)
- Pick up large donated items
- Special projects
- Sort and organize clothing donations